Star Sign up now to gain access to all the features of this website. NEW — access is now open to ALL USERS! — Already registered? Please log in.

Speed in Freeway Weaving Segments

yeomike
Speed in Freeway Weaving Segments was posted on September 30th, 2012 at 2:59 PM EDT
regarding Chapter 12: Freeway Weaving Segments

In step 7 of page 12-35 in HCM Freeway Weaving Segments, the speed of weaving vehicles (Sw) are computed as 54.2 mph and non-weaving vehicles (Snw) as 52.5 mph. It does not make sense easily as weaving vehicles are faster than non-weaving vehicles. In my personal experience, I've also calculated weaving vehicle speed as 56.0 mph but non-weaving as 48.0 mph at near capacity situation of FFS, 70 mph. I hope to understand how this situation could be explained considering real traffic situation. Thanks.

Gustavo Riente de Andrade
TECTRAN - T├ęcnicos em Transportes ltda
RE: Speed in Freeway Weaving Segments was posted on October 6th, 2012 at 9:59 PM EDT

I am sorry, but I think I didn't understand the issue. It seems that in both cases weaving vehicle speeds are higher than non-weaving vehicle speeds, in a way that HCM forecast agrees with your personal experience.

Sign in to add a reply. Don't have an account? No problem, sign up for free.