Star Sign up now to gain access to all the features of this website. NEW — access is now open to ALL USERS! — Already registered? Please log in.

Split phase on major street

Steve Tarabokija
Provident Design Engineering
Split phase on major street was posted on March 12th, 2014 at 12:15 PM EDT
regarding Chapter 18: Signalized Intersections

I have a signalized intersection that operates as split-phase on both the major street and the minor street (4 approaches, each with its own phase). I can't seem to split the major street phases in HCS 2010. I can only split the minor street phases. Can the major street phases be split, and if so, how?

David Hale
University of Florida
RE: Split phase on major street was posted on March 12th, 2014 at 1:06 PM EDT

At this time the HCS 2010 software for uncoordinated signals can only handle split phasing on the side street, but this is only a software limitation. The HCM procedures for uncoordinated signals can handle split phasing on all approaches.

Coordinated signals are a different story; there would be some ambiguities about how to handle phase start/end points and/or yield points. I don't think these ambiguities have been studied or resolved by the committee. So in my opinion, neither the HCM procedures nor the HCS software can currently handle major-street split phasing for coordinated signals.

Sign in to add a reply. Don't have an account? No problem, sign up for free.