Star Sign up now to gain access to all the features of this website. NEW — access is now open to ALL USERS! — Already registered? Please log in.

How to analyze of long stretch of Freeway

F.R. Aleman & Associates
F.R. Aleman & Associates, Inc.
How to analyze of long stretch of Freeway was posted on September 10th, 2015 at 2:21 PM EDT

Hi All,

I need some guidance to analyze 18 miles stretch of I-95 Northbound for a project. This section is in a heavily urbanized area with about 45 On/Off ramps including some complex freeway interchanges. Also, about 3 miles portion of the I-95 has additional toll lanes. I have to use the software HCS 2010 for analysis. This is my first time doing freeway analysis, I am reviewing Chapter 10-13 of HCM2010.

Here are my questions-

1. Should I split the 18 miles into several parts and analyse each seperately? If yes what locations I should pick to split?

2. How should I handle the toll lanes? Can I model it like an off ramp going from I-95 to toll lanes and a on ramp coming back from toll lanes to I-95?

3. I intend to use HCS 2010 Freeway Facilites. I see HCS 2010 also has separate modules for Weaving, Ramps etc. Do I need to use those modules and if yes, when?

Thank you advance!

(Edited September 10th, 2015 at 2:23 PM EDT)

Sign in to add a reply. Don't have an account? No problem, sign up for free.