Star Sign up now to gain access to all the features of this website. NEW — access is now open to ALL USERS! — Already registered? Please log in.

Demand volume vs. design volume

Alexandre Hering Coelho
Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina
Demand volume vs. design volume was posted on March 15th, 2019 at 11:09 AM EDT
regarding Chapter 3: Modal Characteristics

Hello everyone,

I have a question that is intriguing me a lot, about the definition of the demand volume to be used in the HCM methods.

In the section "Peak Hour and Analisys Hour" of HCM 2010 Volume 1, page 3-7, there is a discussion of planning, design, and operational volumes. There it is mentioned that the design volume is commonly taken as the K30, and so the highway would be congested 30 hours a year. However, HCM also says that we must study all the traffic variation of the highway during the year, so that we use in the operational analysis the largest volume observed in all year.

Now I ask: if the highway is designed to operate in congestion for 30 hours a year, the LOS analysis would obviously not always give LOS F? After all, what is the correct volume of demand to be used in the HCM analyses? Is it not simply the highest hourly volume observed during the year? What is the "analysis hour"?

Thanks for any answer or comment.

Alexandre

Sign in to add a reply. Don't have an account? No problem, sign up for free.