Star Sign up now to gain access to all the features of this website. NEW — access is now open to ALL USERS! — Already registered? Please log in.

climbing and passing lanes

climbing and passing lanes was posted on October 20th, 2012 at 10:08 AM EDT
regarding Chapter 15: Two-Lane Highways

I analysing a segment between to point that has three lane cross section. one of these lanes acts as climbing lane or passing lane, depending on the terrain it is moving. so I want to determine it's LOS. in HCM2000 it is mentioned that three lane cross sections can not be analysed using multilane highways. and according to chaptor 20 I can not analyse this type og roadway, because this chaptor comprise roadways that has seperate climbing or passing lane. would you please to help me sincerely Ebrahim Sangsefidi

Gustavo Riente de Andrade
TECTRAN - T├ęcnicos em Transportes ltda
RE: climbing and passing lanes was posted on October 21st, 2012 at 8:38 PM EDT

I see no problem in using two-lane highways method in this case. What you would have to do is to segment the analysed facility in as many sections as needed. Then, you may use the two-lane highways method for each section and direction individually, inputing the values for Lu, Lpl, Lde and Ld in each case. If you need a LOS score for the entire segment, the individual directional results can be aggregated by using the TT15 factor (page 20-29)

Sign in to add a reply. Don't have an account? No problem, sign up for free.