Star Sign up now to gain access to all the features of this website. NEW — access is now open to ALL USERS! — Already registered? Please log in.

Analysis of Signalized Road Segment using HCS

Khaled
Parsons International Limited
Analysis of Signalized Road Segment using HCS was posted on April 1st, 2019 at 2:55 AM EDT
regarding Chapter 18: Urban Street Segments

Hello All,

Problem

I am currently working on a project where our client is considering reducing the number of lanes on a specific road segment. (From 3x3 to 2x2).

I need to assess the effect that this will have on the operational capacity of the road segment.

The segment is an Arterial Street (80 km/h), controlled by 4 evenly spaced-out signalized junctions.

My question

1) What are the parameters that I need in order to carry out this assessment. 2) I have read through the HCM and had a look at the HCS (HCS 6.90 - Streets). As per the HCS there are lots of inputs that need to be filled. Are they all required or can they be left default/empty. 3) Is there a simpler way of analyzing the segment without having to consider all these parameters.

Thank you for your time.

Bill Sampson
University of Florida
RE: Analysis of Signalized Road Segment using HCS was posted on April 1st, 2019 at 6:55 AM EDT

There are many parameters used in the signalized intersection procedure to be able to compute saturation flow rate and effective green time by lane group to define capacity for determining delay and levels service. To extend that do the urban streets methodology, information about the segment is needed to calculate running time to used with delay to define travel speed for segment level of service. The more data you have for your analysis and less you rely on default values, the more accurate and defendable your results. Please let me know (bsampson@ufl.edu) as you get into the specifics and I will be happy to help.

Sign in to add a reply. Don't have an account? No problem, sign up for free.