Star Sign up now to gain access to all the features of this website. NEW — access is now open to ALL USERS! — Already registered? Please log in.

Climbing lane on a freeway section procedure?

randomname33
Climbing lane on a freeway section procedure? was posted on August 6th, 2021 at 3:06 PM EDT
regarding Chapter 15: Two-Lane Highways

Greetings,

I'm fairly acquainted with the procedure from HCM 2000 that determines level of service for a two lane highway with a passing/climbing lane. However, recently at work I was assigned a task to determine LoS of a freeway section with a climbing lane (climbing, not a passing lane because the terrain is mountainous). The problem is that the two lane highway procedure relies heavily on parameters of the traffic flow from the opposite direction, whereas on the freeway the opposite directions are physically separated and have no immediate effects on each other, rendering half the procedure (or completely?) useless for freeway sections...?

I looked through HCM 2000 and 2010 but from what I could see there isn't a chapter or a procedure that deals with passing/climbing lanes on freeway sections.

So my question is, how do I determine the LoS of a freeway section with a passing/climbing lane? Can I modify the procedure for a two lane highway with a passing/climbing lane for my situation? Say do everything as in the procedure for two lane highways while ignoring the parameters regarding the traffic from the opposite direction? Or calculate everything as in the two lane highway procedure but only for the analyzed direction?

Hopefully I was clear and didn't make it confusing. Thank you for your inputs in advance.

Sign in to add a reply. Don't have an account? No problem, sign up for free.